18 January, 2012

Be Careful WHAT you wish for ....

Just last night I was lamenting on my inability to write.  More my "not finding anything in my list of things I had started to scribble on that demanded to be heard".  I think I used exactly those words. 


Then today, 18 January, I went to read one of my favorite bloggers, bubblesdeux.com.  You can't read her or any of my others reads on that provider today.  It's not because they don't want you- but the site is shut down.  Along with several other sites shuttered in protest of two "anti-piracy" bills due to come up for a vote in the Senate and Congress soon: SOPA and PIPA.


See - the upshot of these laws is that they are M-15's being used where a flyswatter is much more appropriate.  Like most, I despise plagiarism - and I am not one who uses ( or used really ) the multitude of "free share"  sites that passed about content that one person sweated and cried over in creating on a site like Napster.  I believe that people should be credited for their work, and where there is money to be made - paid.  


But, like many things this Senate and Congress decide to enact, there are serious concerns as to who is their "information guru".  And, how much of the issue do they really understand?  From my vantage point, like many things, this law is far too broad in scope as written, and far too non-specific in its working.  When any moron with a wild hair across his ass can point and scream "violation" ( much like the robot with the vacuum hose arms waving and shouting Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger! ) this particular law, should it pass the 'legislative follies' and become law, will be just as effective in a real sense - and not nearly as quotable. 


Who am I to contest or complain? Let's see.  I am a long term resident of these United States.  Fully versed in the thought that I will not have some random moron decide what I can read, see, buy, speak on or even look into.  The web is my entertainment and a door to social interaction, it gives me facts and news and lets me connect with friends and family.  It has become my encyclopaedia in multiple volumes - with endless options for sourcing and differing degress of veracity that all can and do combine to keep me amused, informed, confused, laughing, crying but most of all, connected to information and opinions.  This law threatens to remove that ability by punishing not  those who choose to use content that is not their own, but the website on which they post the non-credited content. 


Like the million dollars in fines to the college students, teens and tweens who got caught up in the Napster stings and suits ( still ongoing, mind ) - this bill goes too far.  Go ahead - read it: THE REAL BILL http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3261:
Read the information about the bill ( there is tons out there - good and bad).  Note that there are good, bad and moronic comments ( some best written by those for whom a muzzle should be required daywear ) - but people CAN have a say AND you can read it.  I'm not so sure that will be the case should this law pass.

But- after reading the law, and looking around - you can decide for yourself.  If you favour an entire site being shut down for one person's inability or unwillingness to credit content is machine gunning a fly. Collateral damages everywhere, and the price, like with all collateral damage - far too high.

Want to be heard?  It's easy actually.  Go to your local Senator and Congressman. Use the time you would be reading on these shut down sites on the web today to make phone calls.  FLOOD their switchboard.  Email them.  Repeatedly. I repeat: flood the congressional and senatorial switchboards and servers with your voice. 
Senators and Congressmen are YOUR voice in government.  They are the voice that speaks for you .  You Elected them for their promise to WORK FOR YOU. CALL IN YOUR MARKER.  Demand that they listen to you and NOT pass this Lobbyist created and driven bill.  



Go to https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/  for an easy link for email. 



PLEASE!





4 comments:

  1. All day I have wandered the net to see who is doing what and why. What a jumble of 'things' happening out there.

    Maybe I can't accomplish big things. Maybe you can't. But together 'we' can get a lot done. So...what should we do tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to write a reply yesterday and it didn't take. :?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Bubbles ... I can only inform - and provide my opinion. I may shout it from rooftops and continually refer to it. It is linked -- I will push. Maybe, hopefully, possibly my voice ( and all of the rest of us who are wondering what one voice can do ) will make that difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Shy ... it was a comedy of errors - SOPA was acting up. :)) Truly - the post wouldn't stick - then it would then it wouldn't. The comment not sticking does not surprise me much.

    ReplyDelete