04 December, 2011

Label you, label me

I've been dancing with this idea for a few days ... lots of people have had different ideas and questions.  But really - it all comes to labeling someone or something.  See - I think that we have a need in our lives to have some neat little package that explains just what something is.  We have a word that both describes and others are able to understand for things:  when I use the word 'table', everyone has an idea of what a table is.  


But then we get into people.  And the labels become more like a loaded die, there are many connotations and emotions tied into words that describe what a person is.  See - I can use mother, woman, lover, blonde, caucasian, short-ish, slim-ish .. the list goes on.  But, just what those words mean to everyone else - what you get as a 'mind image' and your reaction to that image are all going to be different.  


Then we can talk about that famous phase in our lives where we used things to express our 'individuality':  the teen years.  How some cloaked themselves in long bangs or black, donned 'shocking' ( to our parents ) clothing and accessories, maybe even wore our underwear on the outside.  And if you looked around - you would find at least one, and usually several other of your peers expressing themselves and their individuality in exactly the same way.  


So, if there isn't something that truly just defines WHO you are - how is it that we are all often far too comfortable and content to try to fit the labels others give, or strive to emulate the ones that we find are most comfortable for us to adopt as some sort of personal mantra? We've all seen the people who seek to convince us of their superiority and good fit to a label .. those who are constantly and consistently telling us how wonderful, sexy, smart, enlightened, researched, open minded, whatever positive you find.  And we have seen people who truly are those things, and they are far more content to just exist quietly - letting their actions and selves just BE the word. 


It all sprung from a set of posts from the Urban Dictionary - put your name in, and see what comes up.  But, mine - wasn't there.  Oh sure - sound the same but spelled differently .. and about seven million entries for Ashley and all of it's spelling variants - but none for mine.  So a suggestion was posed - that I write my own.  And you know what - it's damnably difficult to do.  Because it means either completely expounding on every word so the connotations are removed, or accepting labels as they come - with connotations.  And then - what about the pieces that aren't so wonderful - those pieces of me that I am still trying to organize and either change or decide how their outwardly negative feel ( to me ) can actually be something of use and value?


And - overcoming my initial knee jerk reaction to being labeled in the first place.  


I know they are handy.  I know that we all have this internal shorthand that puts people we encounter into little outlines - that we sort them into 'not interested' to 'has potential' to 'impressed' and all of those other little spaces that keep our need for having some sort of communal language to define one person to another.  It's my table theorem.  That someone can say of me ____ -- and immediately everyone understands.  Or at least is close to the same idea. 


And, it's far easier to admit that while I don't like being labeled - I want to have one that is so accurate and feels so right that everyone who hears it has a similar idea.  


And then - it dawned on me.  I had one of those.  A few simple words that said it all. 


I am human. 

13 comments:

  1. Easiest way to not have issues with being labeled is to not give a shit in the first place if you are :-D.

    People do seem to need to fit people into a category but that's because it's easier and takes less thought and work, but if they truly paid attention it's pretty damn easy to understand other people and know the differences and decide from there whether they're someone we want involved in any way large or small in our lives.

    We define who we are, no one else does and if they don't expend the effort to know us more that in and of itself speaks to whether it's worth our own time or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Chris -- It's NOT all a bad thing. It does give us all some sort of 'shorthand' for each other - the problem is when we don't see that it is JUST that - a shorthand.

    See - I can say table .. and you would have a general idea. When I say round oak dining table - you have more ... take that one level further and say that it has expandable elements and claw feet - and you have enough information to draw it. But - there really is nothing wrong with just saying table - and making you understand what it is - and letting you further discover the other bits...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something comforting about walking into a room and seeing people with whom you can identify on some level. The danger is in giving away yourself to fit everyone's definition of you.

    When I am with A, I am A's mom. No other name. Just A's mom. Am I her mom? Sure, and I love it, but I'm also Dee Dee (my nickname). When I am with a bunch of athletes registering for a race, I am just like them and yet not. I'm not built like many of them are on the outside, but on the inside we have a commonality.

    Sometimes, I think we need the differences to tell us what we're supposed to fear because otherwise, we'd have no reason to dislike people. I usually just find that it is frustrating to try to explain to people that I truly don't care how they are different so much as I care how we fit together with our individual parts. People have such a hard time believing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never looked up the Urban Dictionary definition of my name ... here is the most popular one:

    "An extremely attractive girl whos flirty personality and curvacious figure will keep you coming back for more. She's typically a brunette but occasionally acts blonde. She enjoys long relationships and has many close guy friends. Often mistaken for a "slut" but really isn't. She can also be a super bitch if you get onto her bad side." (All errors are sic!)

    One thing I noticed reading this definition is how subjective the various aspects of the definition are. Maybe "friendliness" -- or even "sexual aggression" -- are being called "flirty." Maybe "curvaceous" is only curvy when compared to a stick -- and another "curvaceous" woman would see this person as "slim." And I'm not even gonna touch slut or bitch on this one!

    I have had quite a few people tell me that my name "fits" me very well. It's amazing to me how people seem to grow into their names throughout their life -- and how much of that is because they were inherently a "Ryan" when they were born, and how much results from being treated like a "Ryan" by those who'd had prior experience with other "Ryans?"

    I could chew on this food for thought for days. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. This brings up many salient points, the best of which is "don't label" (ought to be taught with breast milk or alternative..i.e. at the parent's knee). I blogged yesterday at some length on why I think we DO label, because we are all vastly different, individual as snow-flakes in how we perceive almost any verbal communication and how we verbally communicate back. So even if you say table, one person will see a utilitarian basic square with four legs, while another might envision a Sheraton antique, and still a third will see the retro-50s chrome and formica kitchen table...

    I am one of the guilty who suggested you write your own, because I thought it was a shame that Gaele (which is a pretty spelling IMO) wasn't in that dictionary AND I also knew that you'd put something so unique. I did not take into account that you perhaps didn't like being put into a little square box with a piece of tape and writing on it. I should have, of course, having read your comments and blogs.

    My own name is in there, and is as far off base in some ways as I could imagine, it was silly and sort of fun to see how people perceive "Melanie" without knowing a damn thing about each one. To put us as a group in a little box with a piece of tape and writing. Fortunately current popular culture makes my name something positive, but there are some pretty nasty undertones to the whole thing. And some teenage girl reading that whole fluffy thing might feel she is lacking because she doesn't exactly fit what they determined "Melanie" is.

    I regarded the whole exercise as distraction and something to pass some time, which is necessary for getting through a tough time in our country's history, when joy and light-heartedness is at a minimum and doom/gloom and stark horrifying changes in our whole definition of existence is the norm. That's why I think Urban Dictionary even put stuff like that in there, AND, after all, it IS Urban Dictionary besides, not Webster or anything to be taken seriously IMO.

    I liked your last comment best. Label? Human. I hope you posted it on U.D. too. Gaele = I Am Human. It'd be a reality check at the very least for those who go there looking for fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Labels work insofar as giving a general idea, to help distinguish one from another, so we can arrive at the most accurate thought we can that follows. Did I just scramble my brain? Yes, I think so, lol.
    I hate labels, but we do need them at times.
    What we can hope is that those we encounter realize that every person is more than just a label.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most people use labels because our simple little minds need that sort of compartmentalizing to function. Otherwise, they get bogged down with too many details. I like your label of human, but considering some of the other "humans" out there, I even wonder about how good that label is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a scientist, I am comfortable using labels for what I see as their "real" purpose - classification for ease of recognizance and to bring order to a world that is huge enough to be woefully and gloriously chaotic. I like labels when dealing with animals and plants and rocks and molecules and germs; like knowing that I can automatically work out the molecular structure of a chemical I've never heard of because I know that the -oyl chloride at the end of the name means a COCl group and the -methyl- in the middle means a CH3 group, or that I can be told the Latin name of a herb and have a good idea of what it is and what it's related to.

    As far as humans are concerned, I don't see a huge problem with labels - as long as we remember that we could come up with a hundred nouns for a person, even for ourselves, and they would give but a fraction of the picture.

    I'm surprised UD didn't have a Gaele, even Sati had about twenty entries last time I checked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Bubbles ... I understand that.. and there is. But isn't there some sort of natural 'magnetism' in that too? I think there is. And - well, as for knowing what to fear - I get into the 'who gave the label' sort of thing, and their reasons, and well .. it sort of goes downhill from there.

    Sure - there are some that I would always be 'on edge' about where labels are concerned, but I also see that many people will quickly and openly 'self identify' with the pieces of self that they want you to know. And, I learned that on a sex site .. :)) But, it's been my experience that it has ALWAYS held true.

    And yes- I have lots of labels - some I like, some I aspire to, some I sit and mull over for hours wondering just "was that really what they saw" sort of thing. But I don't think they are all bad ... some are really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Ambs ..
    you are welcome. And some of the pieces written that were "close" to the spelling were pretty good - close as I see me. Moreover - they were close as others see me - which I think is more reality than mine, if you get my drift.

    And yes - subjective is completely the word... even in our own 'labeling' of ourselves and others. My comfort with the label thing is ( I think ) significantly due to the sciences training and education I had ..were that every person I meet so easily fit into the labels of Kingdom, Phylum, Genus, Species...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Shy .. first - don't apologize. It was not the 'little box' but more the daunting nature of self-description - trying to find a balance of the me I know - and the me other's seem to know. And, you know what - you nailed it on the why ..

    Diverse. We are all so diverse and full of contradictions and personal views that sometimes labels can and will help us to find sympatico ... and possibly use as a way to 'not expend too much energy' on those who will not be.

    But even then - how do you really know - unless or until you ( as Bubbles said ) see how well you fit?

    And yes - it was fun and lighthearted and gave people time to laugh and interact - which is, the BEST thing possible... and even in those definitions where "nothing fits" .. I know I saw several things that did .. for EVERYONE who was defined. And isn't that part of the good stuff there too? That while I don't see myself as X, Y and Z and the good things associated with those words that someone else DOES see me that way? A bit of validation in that you know you are heading on a path that others appreciate and see? .. I think that's a good thing. A very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lady X .. exactly. They are handy tools in the belt - but shouldn't be all that we pull out.

    @ Epicure68 .. hello and welcome. I think that yes, we do need a way to sort the details and minutia ..but each label is filled with connotations and contradictions and assumptions. Which makes human, near on perfect as an option: good, bad, ugly and beautiful. For despite it all - we all are that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sati .. yeah - I didn't figure there would be one - but having seen others that were 'more' obscure (for lack of a better word ) I had hopes.

    I see labels as you do with people - that 20 to create for yourself is difficult and daunting, but ask 10 people to give you 20 and you'd have 200 in a hot minute .. good and bad. And picking just one and have it be 'all' is just impossible.

    ReplyDelete