25 July, 2011

The life of an idea ....

*again, taking from the other site, but a universal .. my apologies to those of you who are getting both**

Or, How I choose what to write on.

Read my blog and know one thing, it is very rare that I expand on ideas that I cannot find some way of making them 'relate' to a bigger picture. The best topics are ones where I can bring a different spin on ideas that everyone has some frame of reference on, or can see how I make connections from idea to post to a conclusion.

At any given day, I can toss off ideas into a file that functions as a "seed storage" for the patches in this garden: see the previous post to find the original analogy.

I then work through my emotions about the issues, because writing without passion or emotion is like writing a technical manual: as nitpicky and plodding to do as to read. Once I have settled my feelings about the idea, I then go to the logic. Finding my examples, drawing my conclusions. Even researching for facts and quotes.

All of this happens while I am mentally composing the post, it's look, it's tone, it's need for facts and examples.

Then, I open the "Add A Post" tab, and write. Editing as I go. Adding in quotes and facts as they fit when my writing starts to take shape. And yes, it is rare, exceedingly rare, that I write a post in word, edit and revise, then post. Most of what you read here is written in minutes, despite the hours I may spend researching.

Then, I hit "post" and read the finished product. Make any corrections needed, and then make a copy for my personal archive.

When I choose a topic, I really don't look to add to the "why's" that have no answer. I rarely write on things that I can't find some logical connection between act and intention, or some guidepost that actually gives hints as to why something is happening, or did happen. Perhaps there are patterns that foreshadowed a conclusion I have recently made, or a question that I have thought about yet still haven't reached a real decision and the unease about the "not knowing" the possible reasons why has me sitting at the keyboard.

It's all a process. And, it's my space so I write what moves me. What I can relate to, and bring my own individual sense and spin to.

And while, I am acutely aware that what I choose to focus on for a post may not hit your requirements of "topical" or "important"..it's all apples and pears to me. Because it is ONE of the myriad of seeds I can put in this garden, it just happened to be ready to sprout.

No comments:

Post a Comment