27 July, 2011

I am a throwback, and I am just fine with that...

So, it's the end of July and I am knitting.  I also have an embroidered piece I am working on, a piece of cross stitch and always have some recipe or another going, for dinner or for treats.  And, I realized something curious: each and every "home maker" type thing I do, be it cooking or handcrafts or even 'how' I clean has some association with wonderful memories of special women in my life.  Women who meant everything to me at one time or another. 


Knitting is an easy one.  Growing up, every woman I knew knitted.  My great aunts, their kids, my mother, and the one who first taught me, a neighbour at my parent's house - who actually was more an additional grandmother to me, and mother to mine.  She was always knitting, mittens, sweaters, hats..you name it she knit it.  It was fascinating to me to see this string become something warm and soft and comforting.  And, the fact that she would let me do it too - magical. 

Embroidery and cross stitch was something I learned from a great aunt on the other side of the family.  Her entire house was laden with needlepoint and cross stitched pillows, and she always sat with a hoop in her hands, working on the next pieces.  I learned on a very small piece, and have completed many, even using the skills to decorate my daughter's clothes when she was little.  I still give pieces as baby gifts and wedding presents: including a linen tablecloth and 10 napkins stitched with cherry blossoms for a friend.  There is something both relaxing and structured, leaving time to think when working a project..and there are always pieces in the works. Less so of late, but I have floss and cloth, so there may be a set of bookmarks and other bits coming from my fingertips soon. 

Cleaning was another thing just learned at a knee.  My grandmother always allowed me to follow along and 'help'.  I learned how to use simple things like vinegar and newsprint for shine and coarse salt to lift stains.  I still prefer to wash my floors 3 times, detergent the first, detergent with water the second, and a third water only ( or with some simple scented oil - usually tea tree ) to take up the last of the soap, make it really clean and add a nice scent to the house.  I still can use paste or liquid wax too - and use blutcher's wax on all of the wood here.  

Cooking is where I most notice the connections.  Not only can it be the most obvious example of nurturing and caring FOR someone, I have tons of recipes directly from my Grandmother that I just 'know' and several more copied from her, or on small cards in her hand.  I was just about 2 years old, sitting on the floor of her kitchen as she was kneading bread dough before the final proofing and bake, when she realized that I was reading her recipe book.  Up to that point, since I was always around underfoot, she would read the recipe aloud, pointing to the words, and gathering the ingredients, often allowing me to "help" by mixing.  That day, by the third ingredient, she realized I was reading her molasses cookie recipe, pages away from the bread she was baking.  From that day onward, I was the designated "reader" for the recipes, as I learned to measure, mix and create the wonders that were to be found in her kitchen.  To this day, there are some recipes of hers that I use, and I can actually hear her voice, instructing, guiding, encouraging.  

Not a bad trade off for my time.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful legacy you have! The simple pleasures of cooking and sewing are, in my humble opinion anyway, under rated in today's quick and easy society. A friend put it thus: Why take all that time to make and bake bread? You can just buy the loaf, fresh from the oven even, at the store or bakery. She didn't 'get' the pleasure inheriant in watching the dough rise to that perfect dome, smelling the fresh yeast, and the feel of the fresh dough, and then the wonder of freshly baked bread.

    Maybe you can tell cooking is my favorite 'homey' activity, second is sewing, although it's rare that I do that these days - a button or a tear, or a patch is the most I try for -- I need to start embroidery again or even learn needlepoint - I admire it so and to knit?? I tried crotchet and that's as far as I wanted to go down that road - in my state and my particular cultural background most women knit or crotchet and I have more throws and such than I can ever use - I should give them to people who need them, but they are treasures that remind me of someone special or a more pleasant time in my life.

    Cleaning? Now that is my least favorite of the activities. I didn't learn good habits at my mother's knee, she was too busy writing and fussing at the injustices of the world to care much about cleaning beyond keeping the floor swept and vaccuumed and nagging her children to pick up their belongings. She was a true pack rat, a tendency I have and that I abhor. But could she bake? Oh yeah. And my paternal aunt taught me the wonder of making my own bread. I really need to get in touch with these things again, I think they are true 'soul' food.

    Good on ya for carrying on these homely tasks and sharing them with your descendents - that is a pearl beyond price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Shy .. I am less good about spending time with my daughter doing these things than I should have... she learned to cook in summers from high school - because by Uni she was in an apartment-style dorm. She doesn't like to knit -- and has done a piece of embroidery - but her favourite thing was weaving - until the gramma took the loom to fla.

    I don't make bread as often as I used to - because I actually don't eat much bread ..although when I want it - it's this shredded wheat bread that my gran made that is yummy and rich and well - great toast. :) I made the LM a knitted afghan last Christmas - it's not often that a blanket is needed here - but it's gotten use. I want to quilt again ( another great aunt ) but I lost the cord and pedal to my machine - and handpiecing the entire quilt is far more than I want to tackle now.
    Cleaning? Obsessive here. Ruthless with stuff that accumulates - but ruthlessly protective of things like cards, notes, photos ..

    I like the cooking - and the playing with food. Mixing flavours and just flying by taste and experience. I've only ever had one really bad icky thing. The rest is edible - if not wondrous. :)
    It's good to see you beyond a poke :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psst...hey. Dancin' around on stage with nobody in the theater? *smiles* I guess it's more about the dance in the play than it is about the play in the world, or dance in the world through the play, eh? I started out here in January. I thought (sometimes I'm prone to do that but mostly without much structure) I thought that I'd post poetry for the hell-uv-it! I'd intended on doing a new one each week for a year. Then *eehumm, clears throat embarrassingly* I too lost my password. But mine was an aggravatingly harrowing experience because I don't do banking on line or payments on line or anything of any real importance on line so I use the same password. How in the hell could I forget the ONLY friggin password that I’ve ever used out here?!!!! I held up my index finger and very forcefully pressed each key one at a time over and over like some insane idiot trying to WILL the password I just KNEW was correct into working. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what the hell kind of tricks were being played on me. Then I realized it was a different account…silly me…I used the one I’d obviously been logged into when creating this thing. Problem with that is this…I’ve got as many flippin’ web-based email accounts as most people have passwords. Sure they all work with the same password, but now to figure out which one I’d actually used. …It’s all good now. I abandoned the poem a week for a year thing to once a month. Then I screwed that up in May. Now I’m back to just quackin’ about what ever whenever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Richard ...
    I completely understand that ..

    And lately, for me - it's been a whenever whatever ..

    My muse is touring EuroDisney I think.

    ReplyDelete